Dear Doctor

Dear Medical Professional, You will ask about his medical history, And I will repeat the story I have told 100 times or more, The details fine tuned to the essentials I know you need: He was born full term, He has a 7 year old brother who is fit and well, He is allergic to penicillin.  You will ask me what happened, And I will answer: He is 6 years old. He wasn't breathing for 7 minutes. I gave him mouth to mouth. I will hand over a careful typed piece of A4 paper. It will tell you his hospital number, The things he is allergic to, A list of medications and doses. You will take it and smile. You'll tell me I make your job easier. I will stand calm, And in control.  You see my demeanour, my hospital bags packed and ready, And you say, You've done this before. I'll nod and say many times. But remember this; That 6 year old is my baby. That boy with the oxygen, And the wires, And the tubes, Is my son. I watched him turn bl

The Wonder of Hugh

When no-one else can understand me ...

A medical mystery
A curious conundrum
Rare
Atypical
Complex

He’s not straight-forward our little Hugh. Or to steal a phrase from a lovely friend he’s ‘Hughnique’

I’ve written before about how I struggled to accept Hugh’s lack of diagnosis at first and how I eventually began to reach a point of acceptance. (If you want to read them you’ll find them here and here)  There are days I still long for a diagnosis – when he’s ill and can’t tell me what’s wrong, when I think about the future too much – but mostly I just sit back and take it day by day. 

He is who he is. 
He’s my wonderfully smiley, cheeky and happy, lovely little Hughie.

Friday 25th April is Undiagnosed Children’s Awareness Day – a day for those who don’t fit neatly in any diagnostic boxes to stand up and be counted.  There are lots of events around the country, a fabulous video – you can see it here, a twitter campaign: #itsamystery and a great blog hop where anyone (not just SWAN families) can share their experiences of, or show support for, being undiagnosed.

This is my entry- short and sweet this year (unusual for me). 

So I’ll leave you with some (slightly tweaked) words from The King himself.  Feel free to sing along.

And when you smile the world is brighter,
You touch my hand and I’m a king,
Your kiss to me is worth a fortune,
Your love for me is everything.
I guess I’ll never know the reason why,
You love me like you do,
That’s the wonder,
The wonder of Hugh.


Comments